I don’t know about all of you but I feel as though this summer is flying by. We are already almost at the half way point! When I stop and realize this I start to get anxious. What have I done so far? My evenings have consisted of coming home making food and watching TV.
There is still lots of summer left though so it is not too late to get out there and try something new! I want to discuss a few ways to take full advantage of the rest of your summer.
First let’s talk about what to do in the evenings, it’s so easy to get in the habit of going to work and then coming home watching TV and going to sleep, repeat. I get it, work can be seriously draining. Here are some low key ways to take advantge of those summer nights.
- Go for a long walk. Enjoy the sun (with SPF, of course), get some exercise and catch up with a pal.
- Meet a friend for coffee, somewhere close to home. Making extravagant plans on week nights tend to fall through, doing something simple close to where you both live increases the chances that you will go and not dread it.
- Read on the back deck or on your balcony. Even if you’re not a reader grab a magazine or just scroll through Insta while sitting outside. There’s something about being outside that provides additional wellness benefits.
Now how how about the rest of the time? Here are some tips of making sure the rest of your summer rocks!
- Make plans for every weekend, even if it is just with yourself. Some of these things might get cancelled but at least you have a plan. Nothing worse than Sunday night rolling around and you realize you have done nothing. Save staying in for rainy days. Some examples might be, go for a hike, check out that new charcoal ice cream, go to the cottage, visit with your friend who is in town, etc.
- Make a list of all the things you want to achieve. You know me and my type A personality. I love a good list. I have a running list of all of the things I want to do. This way, when I see a free weekend coming up I can do something off my list.
- Make plans with friends. As I get older I realize how difficult this becomes, between weddings and baby showers people’s calendars book up quickly. It’s so important to stay connected with the people you love though so call them now and block off some time in your calendar.
- Check out local festivals. I am lucky enough to live in a city that always has some sort of festival on but I often find myself missing them or choosing not go. Find a list of festivals online, for my Toronto friends click here, and try to go to at least one.
- Book some vacation time. This is the first year that I am booking a week long vacation during the summer. Previously I just took a Friday here and there. But at the end of the day, work moves on without you and you get vacation time for a reason right? Take advantage of it! One week will not make or break your career, rest assured.
Remember soon enough we will back to hiding from the cold and staying indoors at all cost, so take advantage of the warm weather, make some plans and enjoy the rest of your summer.